Dec 29, 2010

Another Birthday...

...to be had.
I don't know what happened. Yes I do, I turned 30 and ever since I don't enjoy my birthdays nearly as much as I used to. Getting older now is just plain depressing. Getting older totally and utterly freaks me out! Not sure what to do about it. Mattias says I just need to accept it and understand that we will continue to get older, older and wrinkly and frail etc etc etc. and then we'll die. That 's the part that I just can't swallow, the dying part. But this post isn't going to be about dying because I am sure I will just freak myself out and make myself cry so I will stick to the matter at hand...my 32nd birthday!

My birthday was what you can call a mini disaster. The day started out relatively ok but then it spiraled out of control, slightly, and then ended fairly ok. First of all, I usually love birthdays! I love it when it's other people's birthday, like my kids and MHS (my hot swede) and it calls for me to plan and surprise with gifts and such. I used to love my own birthday. Every year I always waited with such anticipation and the month of December would always be a countdown month for me, but not anymore.

Well, my Mattias is not a big birthday person, let alone holiday person for that matter. Well, if the World Cup, Olympics or European Championship or anything Zlatan participates in was a holiday he would be all over it. Point is, he is pretty lousy at planning such days. However, to his defense he did plan a rockin' 30th birthday...totally surprised me, which is good since it was a surprise party. And I am glad he got that one right since it was the Big Cahuna thus far for birthdays...I mean turning 30 was a big freakin deal. However, I do remember my 30th birthday, that I was limbering between totally blue/sad and it's opposite, happy/excited.

Well, this birthday I woke up to my kids. Had anticipated sleeping in but when I woke up I felt pretty well rested. Outside it was a total snowstorm . Mattias was feeling bad and stressing because there were last minute things he needs to do and time was ticking by and the day wasn't turning out as he had planned. He made me breakfast. Then he had to leave to get my birthday present, which was the total highlight of the day! I got a brand new camera. An SLR. I love it! Then we had to go to town but because of the crazy weather, we didn't take the car nor the bus, we decided to foot it. It was the stupidest thing ever. It was nearly impossible to get where we were going as the snow was so thick. Once we were there we were both sweaty from our workout. Enzo whined the entire walk there...because snow was flying in his face. And Mattias and I were thinking shut up kid, we are pushing you in this stroller, you need to just enjoy the ride... Needless to say, Enzo's days was filled with meltdowns... I think this is what ultimately put a damper on my day.

We were at the mall doing last minute shopping like the rest of the nuts/last-minute people. Lines were outrageous. But we were efficient. It was just toys we were getting for Mattias' nephews. When we finally made it back home, I went on a supermarket sweep...not really. But it felt like it. Picked up pizza on the way home from the grocery store. Once the kids were in bed it was last minute preps for Christmas Eve, which is the day they celebrate Christmas here. And then it was bed time. Phew! That day was over and I don't think I relaxed for one minute...well, when I got in the bed for the night. Maybe this is just how birthdays are when you have kids. I don't know but I hope next year isn't the same.


Here's my shopping cart.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Det är inte lätt att fylla år mitt i julen!! Mattias och Alexander verkar ha samma inställning till julen och födelsedagar. Och Zlatan...